Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Cookies, and parties oh my!

It's that time of year--busy but fun! I'm really wanting to emphasize the "giving" part of it with the kids. They're helping me bake away, and I want to encourage them in making things for others. Today they chopped up gumdrops for these Spicy Gumdrop cookies I made. I think they turned out great--and so did the kids. John thought they were a bit weird, but he ate two anyways. :-P
This year, I'm doing things a bit differently. Instead of making the usual Christmas cookies--bon-bons etc. I've let each of them pick out a cookie they want me to make. John picked out M&M cookies (Penni's recipe!), and I made them with red and green M&M's so they at least look somewhat "Christmasy". David wanted the Spicy Gumdrop cookies (I had them look through a Cookie cookbook), so I made those today. Angela wants Monster cookies, and I was going to cook Viennese Kiss cookies, but found out I needed mini muffin pans for them (which I don't have), so I think I'm going to make these S'more cookies instead. We'll still do the Christmas sugar cutouts. That's our little tradition. We frost, the kids decorate. :-)
One reason I've started my baking so early (besides cutting down on stress), is a neighborhood block party and cookie exchange we're going to on the 5th. I know we're not the most sociable people in the world--so we're pushing ourselves a bit. :-P As Mark Twain said, "Pick one thing you don't want to do everyday and do it to build character." Ok..he said something like that. I think I messed up his quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment