Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Happy Place

This has been a longish second week. David and I are recovering from colds and Daniel is teething. John also hadn't been feeling the best. Nothing too serious for any of us, but the lack of sleep plus the grumpiness illness tends to foster wears away at a person. Just chisels away at ya!

Then an update from my friend Penni helped give me a lovely idea. She was off on her imaginary vacation. Brilliant! I too shall retreat to my Happy Place. Would my readers like a glimpse of my Happy Place?? Well, whether you do or not, here it is:


A balmy, light breeze is blowing off the ocean gently swaying my hammock attached to two palm trees. They give an excellent welcome shade in this 80F + weather. Low humidity though. St. John's is beautiful this time of year! I nap, lulled to sleep by the sounds of the waves crashing on shore, the squawking of disgruntled sea birds and the absence of human noise. Upon waking, I alternately read a few more chapters from my LOTR book whilst sipping sweet lime soda and nibbling on pieces of aunthentic tandoori chicken and gaze at the beautiful turquoise colored waters. John snores gently in the hammock next to mine. Having rested all afteroon we jetski for an hour or so in the sheltered bay. Snorkeling will be fun to try next. After a couple hours of such extreme exertion, we have dinner on the beach. Our personal chefs cook up a tasty mutton biryani, raita and lassi on the side for me. John will have a New York Strip steak, medium-well, with mashed potatos. We'll both sip chai as we watch the sun set and the stars come out. We'll finish it off with an oreo sundae for me and cherry pie for him.
In the meantime, our nannies (my sister Becky, and her husband Nathan--what do you call a male nanny anyways?), are watching our children on the other side of the island. After having kept them duly entertained with a variety of water sports, they bring them all back to our Polynesian styled Overwater bungalow that sits over the water. One must reach it by walking across a mini-dock. The living room is glass-bottomed and one can watch the waves and a variety of sea life swimming by underneath. Having played a game of Uno as a family, the kids decide to get out their sleeping bags and fall asleep on the living room floor mesmerized by the aquatic circus beneath them.

And so ends a perfect day in my Happy Place.


Now...back to reality!

4 comments:

  1. Okay, WHAT?? You brought your KIDS to the happy place?? No, no, no! No children allowed! Children are best left with the sitters on a SEPARATE island!!! AAAAHHH!!!

    "You're sick. I'll humor you." --The grandfather from the Princess Bride.

    But when you're feeling better, those kids better be gone! And if you're in your happy place, Daniel takes bottles :)

    Lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah. I can't relax without having my kids nearby. I'm horrible at leaving them overnight somewhere else. I can do it...but I don't sleep as well. hahaha! So, yes, my kids have to be somewhere nearby on the island. I just need a 1/2 day break and then I'm all good.

    But, yes, Daniel is taking bottles in my happy place!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what John is there for--to force you to relax! When Rob and I went away for two days on our anniversary, Rob had to keep telling me to cool it and stop me from making phone calls to the sitters every half hour! :)

    But in your happy place, would you have anxiety about the kids? I don't think so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha! John does force me to "cool it"! He's told me that repeatedly when we do have a night out! And sure enough, the kids have had a blast without us. :-P

    That's true--no anxiety in my happy place.

    ReplyDelete